Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Daily Update

Last night was ho-hum on the quilty front. I started by sewing 10 more on the brown strip (it’s a big long braid) and I started to cut yellow for the Dad quilt and the King quilt (for my bed). I need a 5” strip from 17 yellows, so into the milk crate I went.

I found 13 from large yardage cuts (mostly my cousin’s stash). Some will come from my baggie of small scraps. I need 1 pair of nickels (for the nickel bin) and 1 single nickel for the King quilt. Then I take the remainder and cut it lengthwise into 2 2.5” strips. One goes into the binding baggie (these 2 quilts will just have scrappy binding) and the other gets cut down into as many 2.5” squares and 2.5 x 4.5 bricks as possible.

Dad’s quilt is a Backroads to OK, a Bonnie Hunter pattern. The King quilt is going to a mish-mosh of a lot of stuff and we need another king quilt for our bed because the current one is too small (how 7.5’ by 9’ is too small, I have no idea, but whatever). I found in my sorting something like 50 9” friendship stars from a swap in 2002 and another 50 6” siggie squares from another swap in 2001 or 2002. So when I did the math, I can make a quilt that is medallion style.

Center: disappearing 9 patch, with the same center square in each 9 patch to provide some sort of continuity. 16 squares, set 4 x 4.
2” plain border
Flying geese
2” plain border
Friendship stars
2” plain border
Siggie squares
2” plain border
Friendship stars
2” plain border

Mathematically this turns out huge, but that’s what we need.

The goal is to have everything cut before I leave for my annual sojourn to KS for Thanksgiving and then to power sew upon my return.

And best of all, both will come 100% from stash and thus be free!

No comments: