Monday, March 24, 2008

sleeping bag

I did get a LOT of response to my sleeping bag request. Here are my thoughts:

The prevailing size was 7 feet by 7 feet, folded over like a taco. That seems simple enough to make. If they are 12” squares, then it would be 49 squares. I may just make a quilt for both sides to bust more stash and try some new techniques. (Like I need a new project…)

One website I found had some really cool handles. It ties it up like a duffle and then also gives the cross handle to allow you to carry it. Now that sounds like a plan.

Now on to materials. I’m thinking Thinsulate for the batting. Or Thinsulate with Warm and Natural to get some loft. Please have suggested flannel for the squares (or at least the lining that touches your body), but I don’t have any in my stash. I will need a really big zipper. I know you can do them without the zip, but I would prefer the zip. Www.seattlefabrics.com seems to have a lot of good stuff.

So now it’s a matter of getting to it. The first overnight thing we have is this coming weekend and it’s for about 16 hours (whatever) and we are in cabins or bunkhouses or something because she is only a Brownie. We’ll see how that goes. She’s already decided we should put the ugly quilt down as a mattress and then sleep on top of that. Sounds like a plan.

No comments: