Saturday, April 21, 2012

Inspiration

OMG, I have just had a huge burst of inspiration! I have as part of my monthly homework the idea of cutting out and ironing interfacing on the backs of a decade's worth of $5 flag shirts from Old Navy. I buy a couple of shirts each year at Memorial Day and wear them through Patriot Day. Face it, the red, white and blue never got out of style or season.

Anyway, I have 22 shirts. I have been trying to cut and prep them but it's dull and my cutting mat is all but dead. I did buy a new mat yesterday, as they were on sale. So there's one problem solved. I also bought 3 yards of a navy print with stars on it. I like stars for this quilt; I don't know why. 

Anyway, as I was showering this morning, it came to me. I will make 5 columns. Each one will be 12 inches wide and 75 inches long. They will be QAYG. The odd columns will contain 4 shirts each and the even columns will have 5 shirts each. To achieve the length, star blocks will by used. The joining strips will be red. Once the center is done, then the 4 borders will be added as QAYG in a log cabin attachment fashion.

So now I will start to do one column per month. I must have 2 of each color short to audition for each column, which means I pretty much have to keep up on the shirts. As to the fabric I just bought, I will use it as the backing of the column and the framing fabric for each t-shirt. I do not know if I will have enough to make it a border as well. I should, now that I think about it.

No comments: