Sunday, April 14, 2019

Farewell, Old Friend

The first time I read on a Kindle was in 2012.  My sister lent hers to me because I forgot a book to read.  I had just finished all of Harry Potter and those huge books, and I loved that the Kindle had a light and was lightweight.  I was in love.

I promptly saved up a lot of Amex points and bought two Kindles just like Kim's - one for me and one for Renee.  I also bought secondary market covers with built in book lights.  Renee never took to it and eventually Kim gave it up as well, but I am still going strong with mine to this day. 

Lately I have seen my beloved friend lose its abilities.  This week it would stay on, after repeated coaxings.  It's OK.  It has severed me well for a very very long time in the lifespans of an electronic device.  Here are some pics....



The top one shows the secondary market cover.  It does make the device heavier, but it also protects it and makes it more durable to bumps, bruises and drops.  The second one shows how the little book light came out, making reading in the dark amazing.

Preparing for this day, in late 2015, again with Amex points and an incredible Kindle sale, I bought 2 more, this time the Fire models.  Again I bought covers.  Renee didn't take to her new Fire and so now I have 2 Kindle keyboards and 2 Kindle Fires.  I have wiped both Fires clean, re-linked them to my liking and have organized all the content.  The new covers are orange and pink.  The orange one will be my reader, just like the old one, and the pink one has way more memory (SD card) and can do videos and stuff for going to the gym and walking on the treadmill.  I moved the orange one up to my bedside this week, making the transition complete.

This morning I deregistered my beloved Kindle Keyboard.  It was time. 

Goodbye beloved friend.

No comments: