Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Winter Has Arrived

Today (actually yesterday afternoon) started with this nasty level of weather. In some ways, central IL is nicer than Chicagoland. In some ways, it’s not. This falls in the NOT column.


I like winter. The weather gives me a reason to stay in and quilt. It also has less sunlight and no heat, both of which are triggers for my migraines. So basically I can stay home, do my thing and be fine.


I do hate driving in winter weather. It basically is 10 really bad one way commutes. This statistic has not changed from northeastern IL to central IL.


HOWEVER, the weather has changed. We’ve moved just enough south so that instead of just getting the danged snow and dealing with it (with much better public transportation options), we get ice, or slick spots or blowing and drifting nuttiness. That is 10 times worse than just the snow. You can’t see ice. You don’t know until you are upon it or you see some unfortunate motorist in front of you attempt to navigate it. I am not a fan of ice/slick spots.



Today was one of those days. Yesterday afternoon, I had to take Renee to the dentist for her first filling, which went just fine. It was 34* when we got to the dentist and raining. When we left it was still 34* and raining. I was so grateful to be home and not having to go to my GS meeting that night – 2 other moms went instead. So I quilted during the evening.



This morning, we were spared the snow, but it was slick. Got Renee to school OK and drove on a main thoroughfare in front of a subdivision – that was horrible. Made a left onto another major 4 lane road and that was horrible. Made a right onto yet another 4 lane road and that one was manageable. Got to work a few minutes late, but with the weather, it’s understandable.



The problem down here is that the land is flat and has no buildings or trees. Absolutely nothing to break the wind. In Chicago , known as the Windy City because of the bluster of the politicians and not the weather, there are buildings that break the wind and make the weather manageable. Down here however, there is nothing but flat land as far as the eye can see.



I did get 45 more matchstick blocks done on my Bricks and Stepping Stones quilt. That brings me up to 145 and I need 200, just to be safe. I hope to knock those out by the weekend.



Sewing goals:

Pincushion done for swap on Saturday

200 matchstick blocks done

Top put together

Backing found

Backing found for BRB

No comments: