Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Taxes are Done!

Let me just start there.  The taxes are done.

I am a CPA (note the blog name) but I work in industry, not in the attestation function, which is where doing other people's taxes fall.  I do my own and that it is.  And I dread it just like everyone else, even though I am competent at it.  I did get a refund, even though it is down.

(I will not entertain any tax or political comments on this post about this.  Do not get me started, and as a CPA, I probably can win the argument.  People have tried and told me I was stupid and now they wonder where their refund went.  Please, let's all be friends and leave taxes to Caesar.)

(/rant)

On to the fun stuff - quilting!

Since last I wrote, I found!

A ream of newsprint for paper piecing
2 of of the 3 fabrics I need for said paper piecing project

However, the ream of newsprint is 9 x 12 and I need 8.5 x 11 so I ordered that.  No cost, as I have a ton of American Express points sitting over there on Amazon.

Renee and I did go shopping on National Quilting Day.   She had a horrific cold, but she wanted to go and get some fresh air.  We went to the new shop up in Hudson and found Peeps fabric.  That had to come home with me.  Also found a remnant of newsprint fabric, which was one of the two types of fabric that I was missing.  Renee scored it and figured it was a backup plan.  Smart girl.

We then went to another quilt shop in town that is in a warehouse, but wonderfully bright and cheery on the inside.  I scored a desired coordinated fabric and her loyalty club is to shop there once a month.  I've already figured out what my April purchase will be.  After that I had spent enough and Renee was toast.

This week, I've done a fair amount of thinking about deadline quilts.  Mentally I have some deadline quilts, like 6 or 7 and that is overwhelming and then I don't want to quilt and then nothing happens and you can see where this is going.

So I've decided that I am only going to force myself to work on one deadline quilt at a time.  The first one is Kim's retirement quilt.  I can now start because I found the fabrics!!!  (See the panic?!?!?)  I am so excited to have all the piece-parts that I need - 3 fabrics, the pattern, the newsprint!  This needs to be done by 05/17/19 and I should make it.

So if I'm only forced on that one, what have I been working on?  Well, I had started a top of all the tumbler shapes that came in the Bits 'n Pieces club.  There were never enough tumbles in any one color / shade / type to make anything.  So I just threw them all together.  I got it to a flimsy, sandwiched it with a frankenbatt, got it quilted it, trimmed it and got the binding attached.  It's sitting in the pile, waiting to be finished.  I hope to have tumblers to come up in the pre-cut challenge and then I can get a finish out real quick!

No comments: