Saturday, February 23, 2019

D9P #1 - the green one

On Stashbusters, the 2019 monthly challenge is pre-cuts.  I have decided that I would pick 1 UFO that fit the bill each month and finish it.  Since my goal is 12 UFO's this year, this works well.

January is charms, which are traditionally considered to be the 5 inch nickels.  I knew the exact UFO to pull.  Years ago (less than 12), I inherited a bunch of fabric from my cousin.  I seriously doubled my stash size.  One piece was this luscious purple. 

Then I decided that I wanted to make an oversized king quilt for my bed.  The Disappearing 9 Patch (D9P) was all the rage.  Plus my nickels bin was overflowing.  I had this purple fabric.  So of course a UFO was born.  The purple are the pieces that end up 2 inches square.  Look along the edges of the quilt for the little purple blocks.

Well, since I started this quilt, we got rid of our guest room, as no one used in the first 9 years we lived here.  So we got rid of our king bed because it was worn out, and we took the queen bed from the guest room for our bed.  It was, in fact, our original bed when we got married.  And thus the UFO was not as urgent.

So when this challenge came up, this was the UFO I thought of.  I took it out and assessed the situation.   I ended up with enough parts to make 2.5 cuddle / lap quilts, so it wasn't much more work to make the third quilt. 

Here's the first one.  I call it the green one, because the back is made from green stash.  The second one will be the blue one and the third one will be a mish-mash - leftover backing scraps from 3 or 4 other quilts.

It measures 59 * 59, and busted 5.24 yards of stash.  Its owner has not been revealed to me.


And yes, the other 2 tops are complete and are in the flimsy pile to be sandwiched.

YTD stash busted: 8.96 yards

No comments: