Sunday, July 28, 2019

I had an idea....

...and I went with it last night and today.

(First though, a note of frustration.  Tons of students and parents are receiving bills from the bursar's office.  Why, oh why, is this the weekend that the Parents Plus loan website has to be down for maintenance?  This was to be my day today - get the student loan.  Now I have to do it tomorrow night.  Whee.)

The idea?

Teeny tiny log cabin blocks.  Itty bitty ones.


I sorted through all of my 30s fabric and I have a lot of 5" charm squares.  You need more than a charm square to make a DJ block, however (painful personal experience here), and so I gotta use them up.

Well, the first two letters of my URL are LC for log cabin for a reason...

So I did some math.  I can get 4 1.25" strips from each charm.  Then I did some more math to see how many logs.  And then I needed graph paper and a calculator.  I had been doing all the math in my head for a few days (hey, some meetings are really boring), and now I needed to write it all down.

I can get up to the 9th log using the 5 inch strips.   Hey hey hey. 

So I decided to make 16 blocks.  That is how many centers I can get from a red charm square.  I decided to go ahead and use Kona snow for the light sides and then warm colors (pink, orange, yellow) and cool colors (green, blue, purple) for the dark sides.  I made 8 of each.

So not sure where this is going or how many I will make, but I did learn a few things.

I used 1 red charm and 2 of the other 6 colors.  I needed to add 4 more strips of each warm and cool to finish off the blocks.  So I need 2 more charms.   I am keeping all the scraps together; while the cast-offs may or not be usable in blocks for this effort, I can certainly cobble something together at some point.  For example, I have a lot of 1.25 squares left.  That's OK. 

No comments: