Saturday, January 02, 2021

Debt Goals 2021

Mortgage - no anticipated changes

My mortgage comes out of my paycheck every 2 weeks and I make sure that I am overpaying every paycheck, even if it's only by $2 at a time.  I am due to be done with this in 2028.  If I need to pay more into escrow, I will make sure to up my payment by a few extra dollars when I approve the paycheck payment.

Cars - no anticipated changes

Without doing anything, my car will be paid off by Memorial Day and Renee's will be paid by Labor Day.  Mine is right on time (another paycheck draw) and hers will be a year early, due to micropayments and quarterly $5 increases to those micropayments.

This makes life wonderful.  My 10 year plan has replacing both my car and Ted's car one more time in our 50's, and as long as we are both working from home, the day we need to replace either car extends longer out.  My goal is to get one year with no car payments for a car before replacing it.  For Ted, that year has long past and being home from work has been amazing (he drives 110 miles roundtrip every day).  

Capital One - Visa and MasterCard - no anticipated changes

I pay these handsomely each month, but we do use these each month too.  The payments generally are more than the charges and interest, so I don't get too worried about it.  Renee uses the Visa for textbooks.  While I would love these bills to go away, they are not the highest things on my list.

Discover - this must die

I hate this bill.  The interest rate is insane and so is the balance.  Not my proudest moment, but DH and I both know how we got here with this one and why we need it to go away.  

Student Loan - no anticipated changes

This is the parent portion of Renee's undergrad student loans.  I do not understand why anyone defers this - you gotta pay the piper so just start when you have to.  I did not have any student loans as a student, so this is all new to me, and I am learning as I go. I do use my micropayments and $5 quarterly increase approach on this as well.

So basically Discover is the goal this year.  Right now I pay $500/month which is a slow path to nowhere on this one (just trust me - it's bad). So the goal will be that by October's payment, I am paying in $800/month and by year end, the principal will need to go down by $1,000.  This may not seem like much but it will set us on a path.  Once that's the payment, then I'm hard pressed to change it.  
 

No comments: