Sunday, March 10, 2019

Pre-Cut challenge status

Yeah, February was FQs and nothing happened in February.

Well, lots happened.  Renee turned 18.  That is a big deal!  It feels like a great achievement for us, getting her to the age of majority.  She can now carry more than 1 person in her car and there are no more curfew worries.  Please note that Renee is Miss Low-Key and as a rule, does not engage in risky behavior.  She checks in, as we do with her.  (In the era of cell phones, I think checking in with everyone in the family is a good behavior.  We have a family text thread going all the time.)

Back to quilting.

The UFO I want to unearth is one of a set of YBR baby quilts that I have kitted up.  I love them for retreats because I can cut and piece in 4 hours, sandwich in 30 minutes, and quilt ESS with the serpentine stitch in the afternoon and evening.  By the time I go to bed, the binding is on and I can throw it in the handwork pile. 

I still plan to dig through the closet of UFO's and get it out and do it.  It will be an easy one to accomplish, albeit late.

For March, it's jelly rolls.  Well, I actually don't buy jelly rolls.  I don't think I own one.  But I love making jelly roll races quilts for donation or quick giving.  I made one 2 years ago for a baby shower where interspersed I put in white squares and put an applique critter on there.  The fabrics were greens, blues and purples and the critters were a dragonfly, an inchworm, a butterfly, a bird.  Years ago I joined Keepsake Quilting's Bits 'n Deices club, which for $20 per month, you got a pack of something.  I have hundreds of applique shapes.

So for March, I pulled 12 applique shapes in warm (pink, orange, yellow) and cool (green, blue, purple) to make 2 quilts.  I'll pull out my 2.5 strips drawer and see what I've got and then I'll hit up my scrap bags and then the stash yardage if needed. 

No promises they will get done in March, but it will be nice to have 2 fun new starts to work on while I try to plod on with the UFOs.

No comments: